Thursday 8 December 2011

Expanding my Movement Vocabulary

After participating in 5 intensive dance sessions with choreographer and performer Denise Rowe, I feel like I have expanded my movement vocabulary and explored an entirely new way of moving. We focused on moving within the landscape of music, articulating different parts of the body and leading with different body parts. As we were working with aspects of African dance we were also thinking about being grounded, whilst being full and open. I can't believe some of the movement that I was creating. Things I thought would work wouldn't and mistakes or falls would suddenly become this new burst of movement. I learnt just to let go and instead of looking for new movement, just being open to new movement. How can you continually find new ways of movement? I'm constantly using my body in various ways everyday but still manage to do things I didn't know I could do. Be aware of being stuck in my old ways of movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment