Monday 14 March 2011

Dance Phrase 3

This is a phrase that we have been doing in Studio Practise with Andrea Barzey. This is just showing the right version of the phrase. I generally like learning phrases and have quite a good memory for phrases and pick them up fairly quickly. Despite this I am not particularly fond of this sequence. The phrase itself is nice to perform as it flows quite well and looks closely at the head to tail connection. However, I have so many difficulties due to my left arm. Most of the phrase I'm fine with yet there are two specific movements that I struggle with. The first can be seen at 29 seconds. We have to balance on our same arm/ leg with our other arm/leg lifted. When we do it on the right side i have to balance on my left side. Because I can't straighten my left arm and the placement at the shoulder isn't quite right i can't take my weight. At first I twisted my hips to compensate so I could lift my right leg. But after thinking about the head to tail connection I decided that it would be more beneficial to me if i left my foot on the ground and kept my pelvis parallel to the ground.
The other movement is the backwards roll seen at 38 seconds. For this roll we are meant to slowly take our legs above and over and head and use our hands/arms to push us slowly and gently over rather than using force to get us over. However. my arm prevents me from being able to do this. When I am in this position I am unable to put most of my arm on the floor, meaning I am unable to push myself over. In order to work around this I do have to rely on some force to get me over.
Although, I am so self-concious about this phrase, when I have partnered up to get feedback for the movement they are always surprised by my attitude as to them they don't think I'm doing it much different to everyone else. This has made me realise that although I may be painfully aware of my arm others don't actually notice it that much.

Above is part of my notes from one of the studio classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment